English language grammar

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Grammar: Present Perfect Simple

Present Perfect Simple



Forms

Principal uses
  • ·         To refer to a time period which is not yet finished (e.g. today, this month):
          We've bought a new house this week. (an incomplete period)


  • ·         To show that something happened in the past. We don't state when is happened:
          I've lost my watch. Have you seen it anywhere?
          Note: If we give the time we must use the simple past:
          I lost my watch yesterday. (not I've lost my watch yesterday)
         The following time expressions are often used: ever, never, always, up to now, so far.
         This is the worst storm we've ever had. (at any point before now)

  • ·         To talk about a situation which started in the past and usually continues after the time of speaking in the present:

He has lived here for six years. (He has lived here till now)
We use for with a length of time (e.g. for three weeks, for two days, for six years) and since with a point in time (e.g. since 2010, since Wednesday, since nine o'clock, since I was five, since I moved here)
  • ·         To talk about an action which occurred at an unstated time in the past, provided that there is still a connection with the present:
          I’ve collected all the documents that are needed for the house sale. (I have the documents now)

     Note: If we give the time we must use the simple past:
     I lost my watch yesterday. (not I've lost my watch yesterday)


Commonly used expressions

  • ·         recently, just, already, and yet with negatives or questions.
               I've just arrived.
               Have you done your homework yet?


Note the position of the following time expressions that occur with the present perfect:
  • ·         between the auxiliary and main verb (e.g. recently, already, always, ever, just, never):
               I've already bought my ticket.               I’ve never met your brother.

  • ·         Ever is generally used with questions or negatives:
               Have you ever been to London?
  • ·         After the main verb (e.g. all my life, every day, yet, before, for ages, for two weeks, since 2001, since I was ten etc.)
               I haven't seen him for ages.               I’ve known John since I was ten.


  • ·                 If there is an object clause, the time expression comes at the end:
               I've read this book every morning since then.               He hasn't ridden since he broke his arm.
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like this content, share it. 

Don't forget to make sure to be notified with our new posts, follow us by entering your email address in the required field on the top of  the right column

No comments:

Post a Comment